Black Friday Shopping Safety
Nov 17 2021
Every year the news on Black Friday afternoon and the following day is filled with stories of stampedes, fistfights, near-riots, and injuries sustained by Black Friday shoppers. This may make Black Friday shopping seem dangerous or scary. Still, with good situational awareness, you should be able to shop stress-free. Or at least less stressed.
- Have an exit strategy. Have a basic understanding of the layout of the store and know where the exits are. How will you get out if things turn sour?
- Stay alert. Pay attention to what’s going on around you. Is anyone screaming or raising their voice? If things start looking sketchy, drop your stuff and get out. Your safety is more important than saving $50 on an air fryer.
- Avoid dragging the kids along if at all possible. Historically, stores are jam-packed on Balck Friday. Making it difficult for parents to keep up with kids. Plus, they are likely to get bored quickly, then you are dealing with a whiny Timmy jr while trying to fight the crowds.
- If you bring the kids, plan a rallying point if you get separated or tell the kids to find the nearest police officer, security guard, or employee.
- Deter pickpockets by keeping your purse or bag as close to your body as possible and zipped or snapped shut. Or by carrying your wallet in an inside coat pocket or front pants pocket.
- Avoid carrying large amounts of cash; pay with a card when possible. Can’t avoid paying with cash? Be as discrete as possible when paying; avoid letting others see how much cash you have on hand.
- Try to avoid making additional stops after your shopping is complete. If you do need to stop, try to hide your packages to deter thieves. Remember, out of sight, out of mind.
- Be sure to lock your car! An unlocked vehicle is generally a better option for thieves looking to grab stuff fast.
If you are still worried about Black Friday shopping safety, consider shopping online. No crowds, no noise, and plenty of great deals to be had.
Shop safe, shop straight, shop smart.
By Cassie Shockey, Customer Programs Manager & LTC Instructor
Locations & Hours
Mon - Thu: 10AM - 9PMFriday-Sunday
Fri - Sun: 9AM - 9PM